Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Welcome to the graveyard of guns

I am Josh Ostrowercha and I will be writing this blog to tell the world about some ideas that DID exist in the world of firearms and military weaponry but failed either because of malfunctions, them being impractical or just not catching on.  These firearms come from all over the world from the years 1858 till 2010 and all are very original in design.  Each of these guns could have changed the industry of fire arms for ever but the fact they never became popular leaves us with only a few remaining versions, or in some cases only designs for these guns.

The things I am going to cover on these designs and ideas are the functionality and efficiency of the weapon for its era, its practicality and price (if possible), and the reason it failed. After that I will give the weapons a rating and my own personal opinion on what I think of the idea and if I think something like this, maybe a more modern version, would work today.


Like I've mentioned before the guns range from mid-1800’s like pepperbox guns, to the civil war and the Winans steam machine gun, WWII and a few Nazi experimental artillery pieces, and even in 2010 with the Armatix smart systems iP1.  I will be writing about eight or nine blogs in total and depending on feedback I might continue past that.  My next blog will be about the volcanic pistol and rocket ball ammunition, an amazing idea from the mid-1800’s to give repeating firearms a practical projectile.  If you have any comments or questions I will do my best to get back to you ASAP. Thanks for reading, keep checking back for updates and remember, if you have an idea for a gun design bouncing around in your head, it probably won’t be as bad as some of these. 

4 comments:

  1. Finally the blog I was looking forward to all this time!! Can't wait to hear about the guns you pick to talk about! Plenty of failed designs to choose from, especially those that were made during world war two..Very interested in gun topics so hurry up and post some more aha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Josh. This seems like a very interesting topic. I am personally not a gunman and I don't have a very big interest in firearms... However, I have shot guns many times and I must say it is really, really fun! I'm excited to see what you have to say throughout this blog. I am interested in anything from the past, so any segments on older guns from the 1800's will catch my eye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edison never failed he said he discovered 100 ways not to make a light bulb but only one way to make it work. I'm sure the 100 ways not to make guns can't be entertaining as well as hilarious. Can't wait to here the ways people walked the line between genius and insanity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog will most likely be the one I will be spending the most time on out of all of the blog of the class. I can't wait to see what you think about some of the failed designs, you have plenty to pick from, there are some many designs that don't even make sense.

    ReplyDelete